Review : A thousand monstrous forms, by Saratoga Schaefer
First of all I'm sending many thanks to @netgalley @saratogaishere and @crookedlanebooks for this Arc, I love it so much !
I loved Saratoga's previous book, TradWife, and it's how I discovered her. But A Thousand Monstrous forms is my new favorite of hers.
I loved this mix between a modern queer retelling of Bluebeard with a dash of gothic weirdness and a massive amount of female rage. I rooted for you pretty early in the story, Poppy!! And those statuts definitely gave me creepy Dr Who vibes (Don't Blink episode).
The psychological atmosphere of the story and the cringy toxic elements between Poppy and her wife are masterfully approached in this story and even if she seems like a massive carpet (with reasons) at the beginning; Poppy become this favorite friend of yours you're trying to help when she's offering her heart to the wrong person again but she ends up fighting for herself with so much rage and passion! I love this character: