Review : Teleportasm by Joshua Milligan (Killer VHS)
Four friends unearth a unique VHS tape that, when viewed, causes short-distance teleportation with euphoric after-effects, inadvertently launching a perilous trend.
As copies of the original tape are made, the results become less predictable and ultimately gruesome due to analog generational decay. Despite the danger, some will risk everything for just one more trip.
My rating : ⭐⭐⭐
Well, I actually had some difficulties to rate this one.
I technically liked it. Until, let's say, chapter 12 or so. It was so fun to read and gore like I like. A perfect entry for the killer VHS collection.
But also, it kind of went sour and over the top (and a bit messy) around the last part, chapter 12 was when I totally disliked the story. It's the first time I go from hell that's so fun I love it to ughhh that's ridiculous.
- SPOILER ALERT - It's not a bad ending per se. It's just that the author choose to go for so many different tropes to close is plot that it totally messed up the story, in my book. In just 2 chapters we move from conspiracy theory to paranormal stuff again, and then cultist movement and then alien. It gives the impression that he didn't know how to end his plot, that was pretty light the whole story outside of the VHS killer idea, and then choose to go for every clichéd possible in the sub-genre.
-END OF SPOILER -
The character development is basically good and the relationships and dynamics work pretty good. The Pace, for most of the book, is even.
It's really just the last few chapters for me. It's too much and not in a good way. I still put 3 stars, which is a really rating, and because I really like most of it. It's a good VHS killer entry and a fun read if you want some "curse media" horror (my tbr theme this month).