Review : The burn line by Jonathan Sims

 



What the hell did I just read !  Awesome !

I picked up this book for the Netgalley Summer Camp, well, because it was the only one remotely within my tastes and because I loved the cover. And I cannot regret my decision at all. I litterally binged read it (at work) in a few hours. 

The ending is pretty opened so I really hope it means that the author might, at some point, consider to go for a sequel of some sort or more chronicles-like stuff with the same universe. It's still pretty well done even as a standalone anyway. 

The main 5 charatcers are basically a bunch of simple people like us, every one of them with their own identity, quirks and bagages. That's for me the major win of this book, the characters. It's diverse, it's witty, it's...well yes a bit unhinged but that's how I love them. It's pretty inclusive and the backstories are well knitted. 

I love the social discours and the fact that the villain is basically everyone and everything that is going apeshit in our society right now. But still you manage to find a bunch of people, not perfect, but just good enough in your books, to say, hey loyalty, assistance to someone you don't know  and open mindedness still exist. 

The vampire aka ghoul aka crawler creature concept in this story is awesome. It reminded me a mix between the descent,  The Strain, Nosferatu and a bit of the wasp woman. The horror is definitely here, the gore a bit too. It's so tense and at the same tine so entertaining. Most of the time, I was shouting behind them or throwing imaginary high fives in the air to cheer them up. I was invested, no joke ! 

The atmosphere and the setting all together with the character development is the perfect combo for me. 

SPOILER ALERT: Was it Queen E ? It was right ? (scene with Tash and Elise trying to kill the rich son of the b. and destroy the nest. 
END OF SPOILER

If you are in the mood for some claustrophobic horror in the London Underground, and a good mix of heatwave, monster and social satire, well let's go ! It is my ONE favourite so far for 2026 in modern horror genre (and I'm pretty picky). I'll definitely keep an eye on this author.

Release date : 25th august, 2026


Pre-order here and support your local booksellers :

Thanks for Netgalley, Jonathan Sims and Poisoned Pen Press for the Arc.

Popular Posts